New Orleans I am not always a fan of Senator Grassley’s investigations, particularly those that just seem to be past the pale partisan, but once again when he’s right, he’s right and you have to give him his due.
The other day from the still towering height of his position as ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, he released letters requesting documents from six well known evangelists to see whether or not a tax exemption is warranted to finance some of their big time, uppity-up life styles. He wanted to know about paychecks, housing, cars, airplanes, and general jet setting around the world.
Senator, these are questions that inquiring minds have often wondered in places way more south and way hotter than Iowa!
His top list included:
* World Changers Church International and the Rev. Creflo Dollar, Jr. and his wife, Taffi out of College Park, Georgia with homes reportedly in NYC and Georgia.
* Without Walls International Church and Paula and Randy White. Seems they are divorcing and the Senator wants to know about clothing expenses and cosmetic surgery. Huh?
* World Healing Center Church and Benny Hinn out of Grapevine, Texas. The Senator is specifically asking about overseas travel and meals. Someone has been talking to the Senator obviously….
* Joyce Meyer Ministries from Fenton, Missouri. The Senator is fascinated about how it might be a tax exempt purpose to pay $23,000 for a marble top commode in headquarters. Excellent question, Senator?
* New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Georgia and its boss, Bishop Eddie Long.
* Kenneth Copeland Ministries of Newark, Texas and Kenneth and Gloria Copeland who run the show there.
Most of these outfits specialize in the “prosperity” mission. The basic proposition is that God wants you to get rich.
We can hardly wait to hear what comes over the transom to the Finance Committee Office.